2016 was a bit of rollercoaster for me. I had extremely best and worst experiences.
Just wanted to summarize some of those experiences. It's kind of like a note to my future self.
But hey you can learn a thing or two from it, though.
What I started doing in 2016
I didn't actually have any goals for 2016 but eventually I did these things.
Books & Podcasts
Some of the good Books I've read lately.
- Rework by David Heinemeier Hansson & Jason Fried ????
- Anything You Want by Derek Sivers ????
- How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie ????
- Rich Dad, Poor Dad by Robert T. Kiyosaki ???
- The 4-Hour Workweek by Timothy Ferriss ???
- Playbook by Thoughtbot ???
And I've started listening to lots of podcasts. A Lot...
- Full Stack Radio
- The Changelog
- Developer Tea - Used to listen
- CodePen Radio
As you might have guessed I don't listen to all the episodes from the above podcasts. And that too at 1.5x to 2x speed for tech related podcasts
And my favourite podcast app is OverCast
Although I didn't work on any side projects I learned/learning tons of stuff while at work.
Here are some cool projects that I've worked on along with good people
Besides, I've published nocors and noquery packages at npm.
Minimalism (No more information overload)
This is one of the takeaways from the The 4-Hour Workweek book.
I've started consuming less and less about something that is not important/ needed immediately.
- Unsubscribed from most of the newsletters & alerts ✔️
- Stopped using WhatsApp/Facebook actively ✔️
- Turn on DND & Quit Telegram/Slack while working (Zen mode) ✔️
- Delete unwanted Screencasts/eBooks (that's how I got into web development) ✔️
- Close to zero-inbox ✔️
Thanks to the podcasts and curated newsletter which helps me stay updated.
- Hacker Newsletter
- Node Weekly
- FrontEnd Focus
- React Status
- The Journal by Kevin Rose
Besides I frequently visit The Top Fives to get bird's-eye view on what happens around :)
Watched around 20+ animes series 2016 alone.
34 x 24 + 3 = 819+ hours ?
Which is definitely not the best way to spend my time ?
Like Sonaal replied to my tweet, I need to keep a check on my career and watch less anime.
Although most of them are just for meant for entertainment purpose I learned a couple of lessons too.
Like from Full Metal Alchemist
You can't gain anything without first giving something in return
Anyway here's list of my favorite anime of all time (just in case)
- Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood ?????
- My Hero Academia ????
- Fate/Zero & Fate/stay night ????
- Attack on Titans ????
- Akame ga kill ????
- Code Geass ????
- Gurren Lagann????
- Capeta ???? (first anime that I really ❤️)
For the past 222 days I've written Journal. ?
What I would like to do in 2017
1. Manage Time Efficiently
Heck... It's 9 AM. I'm going to late today also. But let me sleep for another 5 minutes ?
After an hour later, trying to catch 10:00 to 10:30 AM train.
That's how a typical day in my life looks like.
Not good right?
If I've to pick just one goal this year then I would pick this one without a second thought.
One of the very worst uses of time is to do something very well that need not be done at all - Brain Tracy
2. Communications skills & Networking
No matter how many skills I acquire by reading Books, listening to Podcasts, etc..
It doesn't matter without Communications Skills.
3. Spend less time in front of laptop/mobile
Self-explanatory. Don't wanna make this post even lengthy ?
Kind of like good to have goals written on my Journal over the years
- Read 50+ books (maybe) ?
- Build Stuffs instead of adding it in Project IDEAs trello board.
- Contribute to open source projects that I love
- Touch Typing